Instructions for May 2013 Commencement Candidates
*Please read through these instructions. If you have a question or concern, contact the office of Campus Events and Conferences, 208 Knapp Hall, at 518-255-5690 or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 11:00 a.m., Saturday, May 11, 2013, Bouck Hall Gym
- The Commencement Ceremony will be held indoors this year, in Bouck Hall Gym.
- You must CONFIRM YOUR PARTICIPATION in order to take part in the Commencement ceremony.
- Three (3) guest tickets will be given only to students who have confirmed their participation. SUNY Cobleskill ID is required.
- All students must pay the $50 Graduation fee. If not previously charged on your semester bill, pay this fee at the Student Accounts Office, Knapp Hall, Room 118, 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. weekdays. Semester charges may be viewed through your BANNERWEB account. Payment may also be made by calling (518) 255-5539.
Fees and Fines
- All outstanding bills, fees or fines must be paid prior to transcripts or diplomas being sent. Payments can be made at the Student Accounts Office, Knapp Hall, Room 118, 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., weekdays or online through your BANNERWEB account. Payment may also be made by calling (518) 255-5539.
Cap and Gown
- How do I purchase my graduation regalia? Commencement regalia will be available in your Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstore on April 1, 2013. There is no need to pre-order your regalia.
- Bachelor Regalia is priced at $70.00 + tax and includes: Gown, discipline hood, tassel and cap.
- Associates Regalia is priced at $43.00 + tax and includes: Gown, tassel, and cap.
- All regalia items will be ticketed for individual sale.
- Regalia will be available right through Commencement Day.
- Orders are non-returnable and non-exchangeable.
- Please note that gowns, caps, and tassels are your personal property and should be taken with you following Commencement.
- Announcements and class rings are also available from your Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstore.
- Tickets will be given out when you pick up your regalia at the Bookstore. College ID is required. When you pick up tickets you will receive a name card that will be used to announce your name during the Commencement ceremony. Your name will be printed on the card. Please add phonetic pronunciation, if necessary. Do not lose this card!
- Those students using their own regalia, may pick up their tickets and name card the week of May 6 at the Bookstore.
- Tickets are required only if ceremony is held indoors in Bouck Hall Gymnasium. Doors will open at 10:00 a.m. Please remind your guests that they need to arrive with tickets in hand in order to be seated.
- Guests without tickets may watch the Commencement ceremony via telecast in Bouck Hall Auditorium.
- There will be a Graduation Celebration Dinner on Friday, May 10, 5-7 pm in Prentice Dining Hall.
- Tickets must be picked up or purchased in the Student Life Center between Monday, April 22 and May 3. Graduates will receive a complimentary ticket. Parents, faculty, staff and other guests are welcome to purchase tickets with cash, check or credit card.
- Adults: $10, ages 5-12: $5, Under 5: Free
**Cobleskill Auxiliary Services (CAS) will have Breakfast Sandwiches, Pastries, and Coffee available for purchase 8:30 – 10:30. Located outside on the Commencement site. If ceremony is to be held indoors this service will be provided in Bouck Hall Café from 8:30 – 10:00 a.m. only.**
Instructions for the Processional
- There is NO rehearsal. Candidates will line up for the processional outside of Bouck Hall no later than 10:15 a.m. on Commencement day. Be prompt.
- Assemble in full regalia. The tassel is worn on the right side of the cap until Dr.Vancko confers the degrees.
- Faculty Marshals will assist with formation of the processional.
- The processional will begin promptly at 11:00 a.m.
- The entire processional party will walk two-by-two and follow Grand Marshall, Ingels.
- If it is necessary to hold Commencement in Bouck Gymnasium, candidates will line up inside Bouck Hall. You must use the main doors to Bouck Hall as the side entrances will remain locked to avoid congestion during line up.
- You must bring your name card with you to the Commencement ceremony so that you can be introduced as you walk across the stage.
- Commencement is a formal academic ceremony. All candidates should dress appropriately and wear proper academic attire. Individuals should respect this special event that is also for their fellow candidates and guests, so proper conduct and decorum is expected.
- Families are welcome to bring cameras to take pictures. We do ask that those taking pictures do so within the designated photo area.
Instructions for the Ceremony
- Male candidates should remove their caps during the playing of the National Anthem.
- At the proper time during the ceremony, a faculty Marshal will direct you to the stairs at the side of the stage.
- You will give your name card to Dr. Kowal who will then read your name.
- Wait until your name has been read before continuing -- there is no need to run.
- Cross the stage, at the center shake hands with Dr. Vancko and accept a diploma folder from Dr. Thatcher.
- Exit the stage using the opposite stairs, receiving your alumni pin from the Alumni Association and return to your seat.
- The recessional party will be led out of the facility by the Grand Marshal. The dignitaries on the stage leave first, followed by the faculty and staff, and the graduates.
- A reception will be held in Bouck Ballroom immediately following the ceremony. Graduates and their guests are cordially invited to join faculty and staff for this occasion.
- Please take a few moments to say goodbye to friends and faculty and to introduce your guest to these people.
- Diplomas will not be distributed at Commencement. They will be mailed to each graduate's permanent home address upon certification by the faculty that all graduation requirements have been met.