Beef and Livestock Studies
Student Learning Outcomes
- Prepare a management plan for an animal enterprise or processing facility that include skills for positive handling, care and management of animals and animal products.
- Recognize animal health and wellness and be able to choose appropriate management techniques to optimize the production of the herd or flock.
- Describe animal nutritional requirements for the production of food and fiber and translate the needs of an animal into appropriate ration formulations, then evaluate the effectiveness of the ration.
- Relate the needs and outputs of animals to the forage and crop resources available.
- Analyze industry record systems to implement and appropriate decision-making strategy that will maximize the profitability of the herd or flock.
- Identify current breeding and reproductive methods and practices in the livestock industry and use them to evaluate the genetic merit of individuals animals for selection decisions on the enterprise.