Dairy Production and Management (A.A.S.)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Prepare a management plan for a dairy enterprise that includes skills for positive handling, care and management of animals within the herd.
- Recognize the dairy animal’s health and wellness and be able to choose appropriate management techniques to optimize the production of the herd.
- Describe animal nutritional requirements and translate these needs into appropriate ration formulations, then evaluate the effectiveness of the ration.
- Relate the needs and outputs of the dairy herd to the forage and crop resources available.
- Analyze dairy industry record systems to implement an appropriate decision-making strategy that will maximize the profitability of the herd.
- Identify current breeding and reproductive methods and practices in the dairy industry and utilize them to evaluate the genetic merit of individual animals for selection decisions.