How to Apply for Financial Aid
Applying for Federal Financial Aid
SUNY Cobleskill’s FAFSA School Code: 002856
1. Apply for your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) at www.fsaid.ed.gov. Parents of dependent students will also be required to apply for a FSA ID. The FAFSA must be signed electronically with this FSA ID.
2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. A paper application can be obtained by calling 1-800-433-3243. All students must complete the FAFSA to be considered for the Pell Grant, Direct Student Loans, Work Study, Perkins Loans and SEOG. The recommended priority deadline for campus-based aid is February 15 for the fall semester.
To view more videos on how to apply for aid, check out our video gallery.
3. Once your application is processed you will receive an email with a link to your Student Aid Report. This report will contain your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the information you provided in your FAFSA. The EFC is used to calculate the amount of your Pell Grant and other federal aid amounts. Please note that the EFC is only an estimate of what the federal government thinks you can afford to pay for college. A “zero” EFC does NOT necessarily mean that your family won’t have to pay anything toward your college costs.
4. SUNY Cobleskill will have access to your completed FAFSA within two business days. Continuing students, as well as newly accepted students, are “packaged” with their financial aid awards on an ongoing basis. New students will receive their award letter in the mail. Continuing students will receive an email notifying them that their financial aid award information is available in Bannerweb.
5. FAFSA FOLLOW UP: Your FAFSA may be selected for a process called “verification” by the US Department of Education. In this process, the SUNY Cobleskill Financial Aid Office is required to review your FAFSA information to ensure accuracy. If selected, you will receive a list of required documents. It is extremely important that you provide the required documents as soon as possible. Failure to provide these documents will prevent you from receiving federal student aid and you will be responsible for all tuition and charges until the verification process is complete. Learn more about the verification process >
Applying for TAP (New York State Residents Only)
SUNY Cobleskill’s TAP Codes:
3015 – Associate
6015 - Bachelor
1. A FAFSA must be completed before a TAP application can be filed. New York State residents attending NYS schools will have the option to link directly to the TAP application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page. Select the link that says “File Your TAP Application Now.” If you do not complete your TAP application when you get this link you must wait 3-4 business days for Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) to receive and process your completed FAFSA. The TAP application is available at www.tapweb.org.
2. Once your application has been processed you will receive a TAP/State Scholarship Award Notice. If additional information is needed to process your TAP award you will receive a Request for Information from NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). Be sure to respond to this request immediately to avoid processing delays. Failure to complete the TAP application will not delay your SUNY Cobleskill financial aid award determination. TAP awards will be estimated based on FAFSA income information until the application is complete.