Applying for a Social Security Card

International students may apply for a Social Security number as soon as they arrive at the College and have secured employment. The only way to obtain a Social Security number is to formally apply for a job. Your College identification number is not a Social Security number.


To apply for a Social Security number, you must submit an application in person at the Regional Social Security Administration Office. Prior to visiting the Social Security Administration Office, you should visit the Executive Director of International Education to obtain a letter to support your application. You will also need a letter from your employer.


You will also need to bring with you the following items when you go to the Regional Social Security Administration Office:


  • Your original passport and visa
  • Your Form I-20
  • Your I-94 card
  • Proof that you have secured employment


Where to Go


The Social Security Administration Offices closest to SUNY Cobleskill are in Schenectady, New York and Oneonta, New York. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (except for federal holidays).


Directions to the Schenectady Social Security Administration Office are available online. The Social Security Administration Office is at 530 Franklin Street in downtown Schenectady. It is located one block north from State Street on the corner of Lafayette and Franklin Streets (Picotte Building).


Directions to the Oneonta Social Security Office are available online. The Social Security Administration Office is at 31 Main Street, Suite 1, between Rover Street and Exit 14 of Interstate 88.


NOTE: The Social Security card issued to international students often specifies that it is "valid only with employment authorization." F-1 Students may use this card number for employment only if their employment has been properly authorized by the United States Citizen and Immigration Services or by Director of International Education at SUNY Cobleskill. Also, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles now requires a Social Security Card from international students before they will accept an application for a NYS driver's license.