Admissions Guide for
Prospective Student Veterans

1. Apply for VA Educational Benefits

a. You will need the following:
      i. DD214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
         for most recent period of active duty.
      ii. Transcripts for all periods of education after high school.
      iii. Kicker Contract if applicable to your benefit type
            (the Department of Defense may be able to provide this
            information if you cannot locate a copy of the contract.)

b. Click here and follow the directions to complete the online VA application.

c. Once you receive your "Certificate of Eligibility" from the VA, submit that form to our campus Certifying Official Rebecca Burton in the Financial Aid Office at SUNY Cobleskill. Rebecca is the VA certifying officer for our campus and can also assist you with other financial aid issues as well. You may submit the information in person, via email, fax or U.S. Mail:
      phone: (800) 295-8988, (518) 255-5623
      fax: (518) 255-5844
      mailing address:
           Financial Aid Office, Rebecca Burton Certifying Official
           SUNY Cobleskill
           Finanical Aid Office
           118B Knapp Hall
           Cobleskill, NY 12043

d. Complete the SUNY Cobleskill Veteran Student Status Form and submit that to Rebecca Burton as well.

2. Apply to SUNY Cobleskill

a. Students can apply online or request a paper application by calling the SUNY Application Services Center at 800-342-3811.

b. Submit a completed application with a non-refundable fee to: SUNY ASC, as listed on the application: State University of New York, Application Services Center, P.O. Box 22007, State University Plaza, Albany, New York 12201-2007. For questions, call 800-342-3811.

c. Candidates must furnish either a high school transcript, GED scores or college transcript. If you have less than 30 credits at the college level, you must also furnish a final high school transcript.

d. Candidates must also provide SAT or ACT scores. At the associate level, these scores, in conjunction with high school grades, will be utilized to assist the college in placing students in the appropriate math and English coursework only. Admissions decisions based on SAT/ACT scores occur only for those seeking bachelor degrees.

e. You can apply to earn credit for your military experience by supplying a Joint Services Transcript (JST) to SUNY Cobleskill registrar:
   i. The Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Navy are
       now using a Joint Services Transcript (JST). The new
       program has merged AARTS, SMART, and CGI to a
       single transcript program. The Air Force supplies
       Military Transcripts through the CCAF.
       Please note that SUNY Cobleskill will evaluate your
       military transcripts and provide as much transfer credit
       as possible in accordance with your program of study
       and university policies.
       Joint Services Transcript Guide

3. Apply for Financial Aid

a. Federal Aid

   i. Get your PIN: You can apply for your PIN at any time at Before you fill out the FAFSA, you should
       apply for a US Department of Education Personal Identification
       Number (PIN). For dependent students, both the student and
       one of the parents MUST apply for a PIN. Your PIN will
       allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically.

    ii. Apply for Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA).
       The quickest way to apply is online using the FAFSA on the
       web at after January 1st.
       1. A paper application is also available by contacting the
          Federal Student Aid Processor at 1-800-433-3243.
       2. Once your application is submitted and processed you
          will receive an email with a link to your Student Aid Report
          (SAR) or if you submitted a paper application you will receive
          your SAR by mail. It is important to make sure all information
          is correct. Make any necessary corrections or updates.
       3. In order to be considered for campus based aid from
          Cobleskill, a student must be accepted by the college, and
          the FAFSA must be received by the FAFSA processor by
          February 15th.

b. State Aid (TAP)

   i. New York State Higher Education Services Corporation
       From the confirmation page of the online FAFSA application,
       click on “File your TAP Application Now”. Complete and submit
       the application. Your FAFSA PIN(s) will act as your signature(s).

   ii. If you do not fill out the TAP application from the FAFSA, you
       will receive an email referring you to the TAP on The Web
       application, and create a user ID and PIN.
       Complete and submit the application.
       (Parents are not required to establish a TAP User ID or PIN)
       *Completing your application online is the fastest way
       to submit your TAP application.

American Flag
  • Veteran Affairs Office
  • Matthew LaLonde
  • Director of Veteran Affairs
  • and Student Conduct
  • 237 Knapp Hall
  • SUNY Cobleskill
  • Cobleskill, NY 12043
  • (518) 255-5215
  • fax: (518) 255-5699