SUNY Cobleskill is Military and Veteran “Friendly.” We embrace a “Putting Students
First” mantra, and are committed to helping you make a successful transition from
a military lifestyle to an academic lifestyle. Whether you are currently serving,
a Veteran, prior service, dependent (spouse or child), or member of the Reserves or
National Guard, your service to this country is greatly appreciated. The Department
of Veteran Affairs is constantly looking for ways to enhance our services to student
veterans so that we might be able to provide a better service to you.
In addition to our Campus Services for Veterans, there are many additional benefits to attending SUNY Cobleskill as a Veteran or
Admissions Benefits for Student Veterans and Military Affiliate
SUNY Cobleskill understands the unique needs of students who have served in the armed
forces. To ensure these students receive full consideration, The Office of Admissions
has implemented the following benefits to assist Veteran and Military Affiliate applicants.
- Admission Guarantee for Future Semesters – Veterans and Military Affiliates may apply for future semester admission by filing
an application for a current semester. Admissions will review, and then roll the Veteran's
or Military Affiliates application to a future semester (no more than 2 years). A
written request is required.
- Access for Veterans – Admissions will conduct a comprehensive review for all "borderline" Veteran or
Military Affiliate applications. Additional documentation and interviews may be conducted
to ensure full consideration for Veteran or Military Affiliate applicants.
- Readmissions Fee Waiver – Admissions will waive the $50 application fee for Veterans or Military Affiliates
seeking readmission to SUNY Cobleskill.
- Deposit Waiver – Veterans and Military Affiliates may have their deposits waived if, upon counsel
with the Veteran Affairs Administrator and/or an Admissions counselor, the Veteran(s)/Military
Affiliate has demonstrated financial hardship or circumstances that make payment difficult.
- Transcripts - SUNY Cobleskill accepts military transcripts.
Benefits for Accepted Students
- Schoharie County Veteran's Discount Program - In an effort to acknowledge the sacrifices of our veterans who have given so much
for home and country, the Office of the County Clerk has created the Schoharie County
Veterans' Discount Program (also known as "Return The Favor") with the help of the
Schoharie County Veterans' Agency and the Schoharie County Chamber of Commerce. Please
review the following website for information: Schoharie County Clerk's Office
- Parking Fee Waiver - Student Veterans simply need to show their DD-214 to University Police during
registration, and do not have to pay the campus parking fee.
- Schoharie County Public Transit is no Charge from campus to the Albany VA Hospital. Click here for more information.
- Child Care - SUNY Cobleskill Campus Child Care Center offers a modified rate for enrolled students.
The rates are determined by income on a sliding scale. The Child Care Center also
offers additional support to active military through our relationship with NACCRA,
which offers a military fee assistance program. Click here for more info.
- Student Accounts Bill Deferment - We understand student Veteran and Military Affiliate educational benefits can sometimes
take significant time to be processed and paid. Student Veterans/Military Affiliates
who have confirmed educational benefits may have SUNY Cobleskill bills deferred pending
the receipt of educational benefits from the VA. Such deferments would be made for
any cost that has confirmation of coverage by/from VA benefits. This can only be done for SUNY Cobleskill costs; off-campus housing is not covered under this program. SUNY Cobleskill will certify
all mandatory fees for students and will provide zero percent interest loans for textbooks
and supplies. Typically, this is done to supplement a student Veteran's/Military Affiliate’s
costs as they wait for their educational benefits to be paid.
- SUNY Cobleskill Participates in the Veterans Tutorial Assistance Program. Click here for more information.
- On-Campus Housing Residency Waiver - While SUNY Cobleskill requires all freshmen and sophomores to reside on-campus
unless they live within 60 miles of the College, this residency requirement is waived
for all students who have served on active duty, and are receiving VA educational
- Deployments Without Penalty - Students serving in the military who are placed on active duty during a semester
may withdraw and return to the university normally without academic penalty. However,
it is left to the discretion of the course instructor to determine the appropriate
course of action. Students will need to provide a copy of official orders and follow
the normal Leave of Absence Policy.
- Military Credit Evaluation - SUNY Cobleskill will evaluate military transcripts (JST, CCAF) and provide as much
transfer credit as possible in accordance with your program of study, and university
policies. Click here for more information.
- VA Work Study - SUNY Cobleskill is an approved work study site for the Department of Veteran Affairs.
Click here for more information and application.
- Veteran's Lounge - Warner Hall 105. Dedicated space for student veterans that includes a comfortable
"living room" environment, separate computer lab (with CAC readers) and peer support
office. Come hang out, watch TV, get a cup of coffee, work on homework...it is your