SUNY Cobleskill is Military and Veteran Friendly. We embrace the mantra “Putting Students First” and are committed to helping you make
a successful transition from a military lifestyle to an academic lifestyle. Whether
you are currently serving in the Military, a Veteran, Dependent, member of the Reserves
or National Guard, your service to this country is greatly appreciated. The Department
of Veteran Affairs is constantly looking for ways to enhance our services to student
veterans so that we might be able to provide a better service to you.
In addition to our Campus Services for Veterans, there are also many more benefits to attending SUNY Cobleskill as a Veteran:
Admissions Benefits for Student Veterans
SUNY Cobleskill understands the unique needs of students that have served in the US
armed forces. To ensure these Students receive full consideration, Admissions has
implemented the following benefits to assist veteran applicants through the admissions
- Admission Guarantee for Future Semesters – Veterans may apply for admission into future semesters by filing an application
for a current semester. The admissions office will review then roll the Veteran's
application to a future semester (no more than 2 years). A written request is required.
- Access for Veterans – Admissions will conduct a comprehensive review for all "borderline" veteran applications.
Additional documentation and interviews may be conducted to ensure full consideration
for Veteran Applicants.
- Readmissions Fee Waiver – Admissions will waive the $50 application fee for veteran's that would like to
be readmitted to SUNY Cobleskill.
- Deposit Waiver – Veterans may have their deposits waived if, upon counsel with Veteran Affairs Coordinator
or an Admissions Counselor, have demonstrated financial hardship or circumstances
that would make payment difficult.
- Transcripts - SUNY Cobleskill accepts Military Transcripts.
Benefits for Accepted Students
- Schoharie County Veteran's Discount Program - In an effort to acknowledge the sacrifices
of our Veterans who have given so much for home and country, the Office of the County
Clerk created the Schoharie County Veterans' Discount Program (also known as "Return
The Favor"), with the help of the Schoharie County Veterans' Agency and the Schoharie
County Chamber of Commerce. Please review the following website for more information:
Schoharie County Clerk's Office
- Parking Fee Waiver - Student Veterans just need to show their DD-214 to our University
Police during registration and do not have to pay the campus parking fee.
- Schoharie County Public Transit is No Charge from campus to the Albany VA Hospital. Click here for more information.
- Child Care - SUNY Cobleskill Campus Child Care Center offers a modified rate for enrolled
students. The rates are determined by income (sliding scale). The Child Care Center
also offers additional support to active military through our relationship with NACCRA,
which offers a military fee assistance program. Click here for more info.
- Student Accounts Bill Differment - We understand that student veteran educational
benefits sometimes can take a significant amount of time to be processed and paid
to veterans. Student Veterans who have confirmed educational benefits may have SUNY
Cobleskill bills differed pending the receipt of educational benefits from the VA.
Those deferments would be made for any cost that has confirmation of coverage by VA
benefits. This can only be done for SUNY Cobleskill costs. Off campus housing is not
covered under this program. SUNY Cobleskill will certify all mandatory fees for students
and will provide 0% interest loans for textbooks and supplies. Typically this is done
to supplement a student veteran's costs as they wait for their educational benefits
to be paid.
- SUNY Cobleskill Participates in the Veterans Tutorial Assistance Program. Click here for more information.
- On-Campus Housing Residency Waiver - While SUNY Cobleskill requires all freshmen and
sophomores to reside on-campus unless they live within 60 miles of the college, this
residency requirement is waived for all students who have served on active duty and
are receiving VA educational entitlements.
- Deployments Without Penalty - Students serving in the military who are placed on active
duty during a semester may withdrawal and return to the university normally without
academic penalty. However, it is left to the discretion of the course instructor to
determine the appropriate course of action depending on the course of study. Students
will need to provide the university a copy of official orders and follow the normal
Leave of Absence Policy.
- Military Credit Evaluation - SUNY Cobleskill will evaluate your military transcripts
(JST, CCAF) and provide as much transfer credit as possible in accordance with your
program of study and university policies. Click here for more information.
- VA Work Study - SUNY Cobleskill is an approved Work Study site for the Department
of Veteran Affairs. Click here for more information and application.
- Veteran's Lounge, Warner Hall room 105. Dedicated space for student veterans that
includes a comfortable "living room" environment, separate computer lab (with CAC
readers) and peer support office. Come hang out and watch TV, get a cup of coffee,
work on homework...it is your space.
Webucator Online Self-Paced Classes - Exclusively Free for student veterans!! -- These are online self-paced courses that provide access to training on various areas,
such as; frequently utilized software programs (Microsoft Office Suite, Windows, Java,
Oracle, and much more), social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and more), and general
programs such as Customer Service, Professional Writing and much more. If you are
interested, please contact Christina Pratt at email@example.com for access.