The Federal Government has established the Higher Education Relief Fund (HEERF) under
the CARES Act which was signed by President Trump on March 27, 2020. This fund will
allow SUNY Cobleskill to provide emergency grants to students experiencing financial
hardship specifically due to the disruption of campus operations as a result of the
COVID-19 pandemic. SUNY Cobleskill has completed the Certification and Agreement for
this funding with the assurance that we will use no less than 50% of the funds received
under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide emergency grants for students.
Here are some facts regarding this funding.
- SUNY Cobleskill has been awarded $2,747,860 of which $1,373,930 (50%) is designated
for emergency grants for students.
- We are currently developing our student application process and more information will
be available soon.
- We have identified 1,706 students with potential eligibility. These students will
receive an email with the application link when the application is available. The
application will require students to log in with their Cobleskill network ID.
- A priority deadline to submit applications will be two weeks from the date that the
application is made available, however applications will continue to be accepted on
a rolling basis until all funds are depleted.
Student must be eligible to receive Title IV (federal) financial aid in order to be
approved for a federal Cares Act grant. If you were awarded and declined Direct Stafford
Loans you are still Title IV eligible.
Title IV Eligibility includes:
- US Citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Met Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements for the Spring 2020 semester
- Were matriculated and enrolled in a degree-seeking program (part-time or full-time)
at SUNY Cobleskill during the Spring 2020 semester
- Not in default of any federal student loans
- Have an official 2019-20 FAFSA on file and submitted any additional required documentation
to the Student Financial Services Office
Students must have incurred expenses specifically due to the disruption of campus
operations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The funding must be utilized for
the expenses that are requested. Allowable expenses may include:
- Course Materials
- Other expenses may be allowed with proper justification
HOW TO APPLY
Students who have potential eligibility will receive an email with a link to the online
application once our application is approved by SUNY System Administration and funding
is available to us. The application link will also be located on the Student Financial Services Web Page.
DETERMINATION OF AWARDS
Once a student has been determined eligible for a CARES Act emergency grant, a committee
will make an award determination that is based on:
- the actual expenses incurred by the student and
- the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated by the FAFSA.
Priority consideration will be given to students who apply before the priority deadline
and have the greatest financial need.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- This funding will not have an impact on your current or future financial aid eligibility.
- SUNY Cobleskill will be required to report CARES Act grants in Box 5 of 2020 1098Ts.
- Federal CARES Act emergency grants do not need to be repaid.
- Any additional questions about the CARES Act grant application process at SUNY Cobleskill
should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.